Colonists, thank you for following us all the way into our second public development cycle. The support and testing from the community is invaluable to our ongoing development!
- New: Toxic Fallout. The surface of the planet is now occasionally bathed in a thick radioactive fog that kills everything above ground. You will have 2 minutes from the onset of the event to find shelter underground. Building bases above ground is not recommended until you have the technology.
- New: Two different tiers of bandit outposts can be found in the world: Camp (surface and underground) and Ruined Tower (surface)
- New: Smelter; many recipes now require ingots which must be manufactured at this new facility
- New: Tailor’s Bench; clothes can now be crafted; the equipment slot system has also been overhauled to separate some outfits’ different parts into individual clothing items
- Overview menu (F3) now shows nearby points of interest (enable Creative mode in Single Player to teleport)
- New Research menu (F5) automatically queues available research items and allows you to reorder them without having to be near a research table
- New Colony Manager menu (F6) allows you to enable/disable job types for each colonist
- New emoji icons reflect colonists’ state of mind – need bed, need weapon, need ammo, horrified, tired…
- New mobility item: Rayboks; equip to run faster
- New mobility item: Super Jump Boots; equip to jump higher
- New mobility item: Double Jump Boots; equip to allow a second jump in mid-air
- New mobility item: Hiking Boots; equip to allow wall jumping/sliding. You may not jump off the same wall twice in a row.
- New mobility item: Rocket Boots; equip to allow jetpacking in mid-air
- New mobility item: Parachute; equip it to your Back equipment slot and activate with Jump while in freefall. (Not usable by NPCs)
- New Controls menu in Options allows rebinding controls with up to 1 mouse button and 2 keyboard keys per binding
- Added weather effects; rain, thunderstorm
- “Iron” is now “Metal” (Iron Ore is now Metal Ore, Iron Bed is now Metal Bed, etc)
- NPCs can now jump up and down through platform and stairs blocks
- Updated “Spawn Item” section of Debug Menu to show icons instead of text descriptions. You can select an item from the search results with the arrow keys and spawn it into your inventory with Enter.
- Some improvements have been made to movement on stairs and platforms, including fixing multiple snagging issues
- Movement smoothness while walking across horizontal surfaces and gaps has been improved; characters now benefit from real ‘coyote time’ as they walk off a horizontal surface and will not snag on 1-block wide gaps.
Internal bugfixing, very secretive
Fixed long standing bug that could cause an exception and corrupt the stream of data coming in from the server depending on the user’s network settings and connection quality
- Dead players and NPCs now drop backpacks instead of their inventory spilling into the world; use with E to loot
- Loot chests at raider outposts now contain essential crafting materials not available elsewhere (Air Filter, Antimatter, Circuit Board, Servo Motor, Liquid Oxygen, Titanium)
- Raider outposts should now replenish/respawn after a certain delay
- Added “Wall of Death” to Overview (F3) so you can see the world boundaries (Default position is at -1000 and +1000)
- Fixed issue that was causing save and load errors for certain chests generated with raider outposts
- Fixed raider outpost blocks not having the Raider faction set; ensured ruin blocks can be damaged by weapons
- Fixed issue that could cause certain areas near the spawn to be impossible to mine or build on
- Fixed issue that could cause clients to remain stuck “Awaiting snapshot” and then lose their connection to the server upon trying to connect or reconnect to a game that’s been underway for some time
- Fixed issue that caused tower outposts to spawn in the air or underground. Note that there are still world generation issues causing outposts to have their upper levels cut off
- New Network Diagnostics screen (F4) allows you to see what traffic the Outworlder client is sending and receiving
- Various networking code improvements. Server now sends fewer entity updates to clients and broadcasts more personalized updates. Bandwidth usage has been greatly reduced by shortening some data types. Players should see a noticeable reduction of rubberbanding and delay accumulation.
- Raider towers can now be taller and will generally have fewer spawning defects
- Frequency of radiation events has been lowered to add slightly longer stretches between storms
- Neutral NPCs will no longer spawn with weapons
- Fixed ladders being available to craft at all facilities; they can now be crafted at the toolbench exclusively
- Fixed debug menu selection cursor graphic blocking mouse clicks
- Reduced performance issues when piles of unreachable corpses are in range of colonists with the butcher job set
- Fixed NPC emotes blocking the mouse
- Fixed sign block causing chunk loading errors when placed (Note: The sign block is not yet functional in multiplayer)
- Fixed crafting hammer animation not showing above NPCs’ heads when crafting at a toolbench
- Fixed minimap allowing you to teleport to a target even when Creative Mode is off
- Added Steam Networking support. Port forwarding is no longer required to host games.
Please note that unfortunately this means people can only connect to people playing in the same build and version as each other. Playtesters can no longer play with a full retail owner, for example.
- Improved setpiece and tower generation; multiple parts can be arranged to form small compounds
- Looted items in chests at points of interest now regenerate after a certain delay
- Laser/plasma weapons now shoot real lasers
- Weapon damage rebalanced
- Replaced the green rad storm with a snowy blizzard which is still radioactive but will be made just cold in a later patch
- Improved fuzzy selection on entities and blocks to favor the object directly under the mouse and detect facilities more accurately
- Activating with E will prioritize objects that are selected with the selection tool over objects that are not
- Allow multiple selected NPCs to be assigned the right click order “Run here”
- Allow activating a facility with right click
- Fixed issue that caused smelter to halt when the first work order in its list couldn’t be executed
- Fixed Mystery Found not showing if you loot a new mystery item from a chest or another player
- Fixed issue that caused certain events to be more scarce than intended
- Hand Crafting and Work Order tabs in the facility dialogs have been swapped; activating a facility will now bring up the player-crafted item list first
- Added outline of the terrain altitude in the Minimap
- Blizzard now has its own music theme
- All laser pistols and rifles now have distinct projectiles, as well as updated handling positions, reload animations and sounds
- Hydroids will be less aggressive towards other wildlife, and other wildlife will avoid attacking Hydroids. Predators and Beasts no longer attack each other.
- Dirt now drops Dirt Clumps which cannot be placed but can be hand-crafted into Dirt Bricks
- Fixed NPCs not looking for haulable items and food in facility storage
- Made “The Mode” available. In this unified multiplayer survival mode, you can decide to fend for yourself or form alliances with other players — Co-op or PvP is all up to players. This mode is still under construction and will soon include a few new competitive multiplayer-oriented features.
- Temperature rework: Air is now cooler at higher altitudes, and going underground protects against the cold. Temperature will rise as you dig down.
- Added rules so that large animals stop fighting each other and so hydroids don’t fight other creatures; should reduce clutter when hydroids encounter small animals.
- Mining speed has been increased across the board.
- Bandits now have 3 different tiers that determine their gear/difficulty
- Towers now have lamps
- Updated rock chunk graphics
- Backpacks left by defeated players now despawn after 5 minutes
- Radiator is now functional
- Fixed game showing your character hovering in limbo when you spawn in an unloaded area of the map
- Fixed issue that could cause NPCs’ “Zzz…” sleeping icon to be hidden by emotes
- The Mode now gives you a Spawnpoint that will prevent your faction members from respawning in the wilderness. Protect it well; each colony only gets one for now.
- Added “Keycard Vendor” neutral areas on the surface; some raider outposts now have lockboxes with awesome loot that require valuable keycards to open
- Item tiers are now displayed in item tooltips for easier identification
- The Mode now gives you a radio so you can call in supply drops; rewards are given for time played and kills
- Doors can now only be opened by players or NPCs of the same faction, and NPCs will no longer see enemy doors as open windows
- Updated Volume options; tweaked amount of silence between tracks
- Pressing Use (E) again after opening the backpack will Take All items and close the window
- Lopped off the top of towers for now
- Added smelter idle sound
- Fixed an issue that could cause the game not to save when closing the game with Alt+F4 or the close button on the window, or when closing the server
- Fixed players not disappearing from overview or lobby after disconnecting
- Fixed chat box in lobby dialog not focusing
- Fixed dirt not stacking when you try to craft it
- Fixed issue that could cause you to respawn in the ground after your body is axed to death
- Raider camps are now decorated
- New stylized buttons in main menu and options screen
- Added new ore graphics
- Fixed issue that would cause the server to take too long to load and get closed by the client trying to start it.
- Fixed issue that would cause a very long “Waiting for area to load” message to appear when respawning
- Fixed issue with smelter sometimes not animating
- Fixed issue with smelter idle sounds playing loudly and stacking
Can’t get enough Outworlder? Itching for the next colony? Try one of our communities and social media platforms!
Our Discord is our main community hub: If you’re a playtester, you can join and get a special playtester role. Also look for people to play Outworlder with there!
Our other spaces are regularly updated